A query we get usually is whether or not it’s potential to work as a journey therapist exterior of the United States. Since we’re solely in working as journey bodily therapists contained in the US, taking conventional US-based journey contracts — (with loads of worldwide journey for leisure blended in in fact) — that is an space that we all know little or no about. Luckily, we discovered a therapist who has labored in Australia for the previous a number of years to shed some gentle on the method of working as a therapist overseas! Take it away, Tori!
Guest submit written by Tori Frost, SLP
“Can I work as a Travel PT/OT/SLP in Australia?”
It may take a while and analysis, nevertheless it’s positively potential!
I wish to share with you a little about my story, after which assist you with some methods that you may additionally pursue working as a PT, OT, or SLP in Australia or elsewhere overseas.
I’m an American Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) who has been working in Australia since 2016. I labored in acute take care of a bit over 4 years in Michigan, USA, earlier than coming over to Australia. I truly thought of doing journey remedy in the United States, however in the end I determined to maneuver to Australia as a substitute. I initially came visiting right here to work as an au pair, after which as soon as I was right here, I determined to see if I may observe as an SLP right here, as a result of I didn’t wish to depart! The relaxation is historical past, and I’m nonetheless right here over 3.5 years later!
The Process for Working in Australia
Although the issues under can be extra particular to Australia, you’d in all probability have comparable issues to contemplate for an additional nation if you’re fascinated with working internationally.
Things to Consider:
Visas – You will want a visa in order to work overseas. Look into which visas you’d be eligible for and which might greatest fit your wants.
- Check out the Department of Home Affairs web site [immigration and citizenship] for specifics concerning visas [age requirements, etc.]
- Click right here for the Australian Department of Home Affairs web site
- PTs, OTs, and SLPs are all at the moment on the Skilled Occupation List, and could also be eligible for the next visas:
- 186 – Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186)
- 189 – Skilled Independent (subclass 189) – Points-Tested
- 190 – Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)407 – Training visa (subclass 407)
- 485 – Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) – Graduate Work
- 489 – Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) – Family sponsored
- 489 – Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) – State or Territory nominated
- 482 – Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) – Medium Term Stream
- 187 – Regional Sponsor Migration Scheme (subclass 187)
- 462 – I additionally got here out initially on a 462 Work and Holiday Visa [although there is an age limit of 30 and generally you can only work up to 6 months with one employer on this visa, which is a one-year visa]
Certifications – Look into what certifications you want and make contact with the affiliation instantly when you have questions
- SLPs – Speech Pathology AustraliaMutual Recognition Agreement [MRA] with ASHA – try the web site for specifics concerning making use of by means of the MRA
- OTs – Occupation Therapy Council of Australia Limited
- PTs – Australian Physiotherapy Council Limited
- OTs and PTs – chances are you’ll be required to register with AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency)
- For different nations, you would want to analysis their particular remedy associations
- Word of mouth
- Internet – Google teams, job search web sites [e.g. SEEK, Jora], recruitment businesses, job boards on the affiliation’s web site, and so forth.
- Government web sites [check each country/state’s individual Government website for positions]
- As with journey remedy in the US, resolve if you wish to be in a particular space or if you happen to’re open to working wherever [some rural and remote jobs may be available]
Housing and Accommodations
- There are plenty of Facebook teams and web sites [e.g. Gumtree, flatmates.com.au] to seek for lodging and or/flatmates in Australia
- Rent is mostly listed as a value per week
- Research comparable housing websites for different nations
Other Things to Consider
- Pay – Check out the pay charges, however bear in mind if you happen to’d find yourself changing it again to USD from the Australian greenback, it is going to be much less
- I wasn’t residing/working in a giant metropolis in the US, however I have discovered that in common, price of residing appears to be increased right here in Australia
- Transport – relying on the place you’re/your job, you’ll should verify public transport choices or resolve if you happen to’d wish to get a automotive [remember: you’ll be driving on the left side of the road in Australia!]
Can You Do Short-Term Contracts?
In Australia and overseas, there aren’t normally your commonplace 13-week journey remedy gigs as in the US, however there are alternatives to do short-term contracts [although I’m not sure the likelihood of lining them up like you might in the US with the typical 13-week contracts].
You would wish to search for the phrase “locum” when looking for positions, which is the time period they use usually for short-term jobs. That being stated, some locum positions could be as much as a yr if they’re needing somebody for a longer time [e.g. to cover a maternity leave, which is often a lot longer than in the US]. Locum jobs fluctuate in size, and also you may be capable to discover some short-term ones for a shorter variety of weeks.
I have completed one locum job right here which was supplied as a 12-week place. I labored 10 weeks at a hospital that wanted somebody in acute care [I found this job by word of mouth through a Speech Pathology Australia branch meeting].
Are There Any “International Travel” Staffing Agencies?
There are plenty of recruitment businesses on the market if you happen to search, which can recruit for each short-term or everlasting positions overseas. One of my jobs was marketed by means of a recruitment company [Sugarman International]. At this place, I labored part-time for a personal hospital, though I later was employed on/employed instantly by the hospital.
Other recruitment businesses [I have not used any of these for my jobs] embody:
- Aussie Locums
- Healthcare Australia
- Global Health Source
There are in all probability a lot extra businesses on the market than this, however once more, I haven’t discovered any jobs by means of these myself. However if you happen to’re in making an attempt to journey for work overseas, they could be value trying into!
I hope this data helps you as you discover your choices concerning working internationally as a PT, OT, or SLP.
Happy Traveling! ~Tori
We want to thank Tori for sharing her insights concerning working in Australia and overseas as a therapist!
For extra data on touring, working, and residing in Australia – please try Tori’s weblog – ‘Speech Down Under’ at www.speechdownunder.com.au
Find more Physical therapy travel jobs international – Indochina Airlines