Is it secure to go to Colombia or will you be kidnapped?
More and extra individuals are touring to Colombia, and but we hear loads of scary tales. It’s regular to marvel.
Yes, it’s secure to journey to Colombia. But like in lots of South American nations, there are some common sense guidelines to comply with.
When I arrived in Colombia in 2015, I used to be terrified. Then I fell in love with the nation. I realized lots from my errors. Through this information, you will have the ability to:
- Reassured your relations and gave them a transparent rationalization of the scenario in Colombia
- Learn from my expertise to keep away from hassle and journey extra easily
In addition, don’t hesitate to seek the advice of two of our hottest posts. You’ll discover them very helpful in planning your journey to Colombia:
- Best locations to go to in Colombia
- Best issues to do in Colombia
Let’s go amigo!
Coronavirus in Colombia
Use this part to be taught extra about Covid in Colombia. Also, seek the advice of your embassy’s web site (US, UK, and so on.) and the 2 official Colombia web sites: CoronavirusColombia and MinSalud. Another useful gizmo is that this one.
Getting into Colombia
- Full vaccinated vacationers: Must current their certificates of vaccination. No check wanted
- A PCR (< 72h) or antigenic check (<24h): If you’ve been vaccinated lower than 14 days earlier than coming into the nation or in case of an incomplete vaccination scheme.
- Unvaccinated vacationers are actually allowed to enter (with a PCR or antigenic check).
- Colombian residents or foreigners with a visa can enter Colombia with out being vaccinated. They might want to present a PCR or Antigenic check.
- Fill out your Check Mig: This is an internet kind that you should fill out 48 hours to 1 hour earlier than flying. It is necessary.
Once inside Colombia
- Most nationwide parks are open. But not all. Try to seek out out extra on the Parques Nacionales de Colombia web site.
- Bars and eating places are open.
- Respect all the foundations of social distancing and placed on a masks if you are in a closed place or surrounded by individuals.
- The native businesses respect sanitary protocols to get the certification & welcome vacationers safely. I think about that this isn’t utilized in every single place, however efforts are made on this path.
- In some cities, you don’t have to put on your safety masks outside.
Why Colombia is secure in 2022
I gained’t inform you that Colombia is an all-happy and lovey-dovey world. Let’s have a better take a look at the precise scenario to resolve if Colombia is harmful for tourism or not.
3 the explanation why Colombia is safer in 2022
Thanks to all the data above, I personally take into account that Colombia is secure to journey to.
Why is Colombia NOT secure in 2022
Ok, we now have proved that you gained’t be killed by an AK-47 or kidnapped by a bearded man below cocaine. Unfortunately, there are nonetheless many factors to enhance in Colombia. Here are some vital factors to learn about Colombia’s safety issues:
- Some Colombians are very inventive in organising scams. You should be in your guard.
- Prostitution is authorized, and it’s simple to get cocaine in vacationer locations. Many vacationers go to Colombia for the flawed causes.
- The present authorities doesn’t respect its commitments to the unlawful armed teams. There are tensions in remoted areas.
- There are vital strikes as a result of the Colombian individuals desire a change.
- Social leaders are being assassinated by armed teams, drug traffickers, or corrupt politicians. These are areas the place there isn’t a army presence.
Don’t be scared. I’ll now clarify to you find out how to journey safely in Colombia. You will see, it’s easy.
Our Colombia security recommendation
If you journey to South America, your iPhone —I do know you find it irresistible greater than your boyfriend— is price greater than 4 instances the minimal month-to-month wage.
Petty thefts are the primary drawback in South America, and the easiest way to keep away from them is to No Dar Papaya. It’s a Colombian saying which suggests Don’t give them the chance. In different phrases, play low profile.
Unfortunately, it could actually occur to everybody, even when you take all of the precautions. So, don’t come with out journey insurance coverage.
Read more: Is it Safe to Travel in Colombia?
If you are a digital nomad, then you are going to LOVE Safetywing. They provide sensible and inexpensive journey insurance coverage.
1# Be extra cautious in main cities
There is a big social hole between poor and wealthy individuals in main cities like Medellin and Bogota. According to their wealth, inhabitants reside in numerous Estratos (from 1 to six), 6 being the very best. And the extent of security differs lots between these areas.
So, sure, you can reside and benefit from the greatest cities in Colombia. However, you should be extra vigilant.
👉 Discover our favourite Colombian cities.
2# Take a taxi/Uber at evening
When the occasion is over, don’t attempt to stroll again to your resort. You may cross an unsafe district with out figuring out it – Invisible borders. And I don’t suppose you need to be alone in a darkish alley at 4 am.
Taxis are low-cost. Use them.
3# Be cautious along with your cellphone
During the day, don’t be scared to take photos if you see that different individuals are doing the identical. But as soon as the job is finished, put it again in your bag or your FRONT pocket.
4# Don’t exit along with your bank card and gold watch
At evening, let your valuables in your room and produce some money as an alternative of your bank card. If by misfortune somebody desires to rob you, you will lose Colombian Pesos solely.
Also, don’t use ATM at evening.
5# Carry a photocopy of your passport
A photocopy is adequate within the case of police management. It is even higher if you can photocopy your entry stamp. You will want it to get to nightclubs.
6# Don’t let your glass unattended
There is a drug referred to as Scopolamine or Devil’s breath that turns you into an obedient zombie. You will give your bank card quantity, and your cellphone and you gained’t keep in mind something. It’s fairly scary.
7# Be cautious with sizzling women in luxurious golf equipment
It is usually a hooker. Moreover, a few of them steal their shoppers after intercourse. Don’t hesitate to ask her about her work. This will hold you out of hassle. Do it politely, so you don’t get slapped. Prostitutes not often communicate English effectively.
8# Fake Tinder profiles
Scammers like to seek out sexy males on Tinder. If you see extra of her physique than her face within the picture, it’s most likely a lure. Always meet in a public place.
9# Don’t hail a taxi at evening
Use Beat or Uber as an alternative of a taxi after a celebration. They will decide you up in entrance of the membership they usually already know your tackle. You don’t have to speak in drunk Spanish. It shall be simpler. Moreover, some scrupulous faux taxi drivers can attempt to rob you, particularly if you’re drunk. Learn about Secuestro Expresso.
10# Official cab service
In the airports, there are counters the place you can ask for a cab. Give your tackle and they’re going to assign you a cab. These are the official costs.
11# Keep your valuables in your little bag
Whether you take a cab, bus or airplane, at all times hold your priceless belongings (passport, digicam, laptop) with you. Don’t put it within the trunk, below your seat, or over your head.
12# Lower the withdrawal/fee limits of your bank card
Only a number of banks let you do this. And it’s too dangerous as a result of it’s nice!
If you’ve acquired a cellular financial institution like N26, you can change the completely different limits of your bank card in 5 sec. Therefore, thieves can’t make an enormous withdrawal in case of theft.
13# In case of theft
Do not resist. If you need to play it good, conceal your cash in a belt and hold just some payments in your pockets. That’s what you’ll give if you’re robbed.
14# Scams to keep away from
Some scrupulous Colombians have an unimaginable creativeness to seek out methods to rob vacationers. Be conscious of their tips, and you will journey safer in Colombia.
- They use Scopolamine to drug you and switch you into a pleasant zombie.
- A faux policeman officer asks you to examine your payments and provides you a receipt in trade.
- A real Policeman officer finds medicine on you and asks for a bribe.
- A faux taxi driver sequesters you along with his associates, they usually drive you to a unique ATM to empty your checking account (Bogota).
- They trade your actual invoice with a faux one whereas they search for change.
- A sizzling woman comes again with you to your house and calls her associates to rob you. Work additionally with Tinder.
- The classical Gringo tax if you don’t ask for the worth earlier than shopping for something.
- Skilled Pick-Pocket. Don’t put stuff in your again pockets.
- They give you again the flawed change – Sometimes, it’s an trustworthy mistake.
15# Don’t be a flashy Gringo
No have to dye your head if you have blonde hair. But keep away from sporting shorts, tank tops, and flip-flops within the massive cities (besides on the coast).
If you are misplaced, don’t take out an A3 map on the road whereas strolling. You can ask Colombians for instructions. They are pleasant and love to assist —even when they often give you the flawed instructions.
Is Colombia secure for … Q&A
Now you have to be somewhat anxious. That’s advantageous. My purpose is to place you in your guard.
Now, you don’t should turn out to be paranoid. In 5 years, I’ve solely had one cellphone stolen. This just isn’t a great feeling. But you recover from it.
Do you nonetheless have questions? You don’t know but whether it is secure to go to Colombia?
This part could reply your doubts.
Choose the protection subjects that curiosity you
A little bit of Colombia History
In this final part, I need to assist you reassure your family members.
You will have the ability to perceive why Colombia was such a harmful nation.
Colombia was not secure within the ’90s
Since its creation, the Republic of Colombia didn’t get pleasure from a lot of an financial stability surroundings. There have been many conflicts between the Liberal and the Conservative events. The rivalry was so tense that Colombia has skilled ten years of civil warfare referred to as “Violencia” between 1948 and 1958.
Then, due to many issues of corruption and social inequalities, excessive left wings like M-19, FARC, and ELN took up arms to protest towards the federal government in the course of the ’70s.
Simultaneously, Pablo Escobar began his cocaine enterprise within the jungle.
You can perceive why it was completely fucked up.
Also, you have to appreciate we have been within the ’80s. There was nonetheless the Cold War between the United States and the URSS to compete for who had the most important one. And Americans have been looking communists just like the Salem witches. They didn’t need to let Colombia into the palms of the RED.
With their assist, the Colombian authorities armed paramilitaries to assault the communists.
Then Pablo grew to become a bomb addict to protest towards the extradition. And he was additionally preventing with the Cartel de Cali to keep up his Cocaine enterprise.
Yes, Colombia was an enormous mess.
Everyone was preventing towards everybody
And as you can see within the diagram above, everybody was preventing with everybody. Colombia wasn’t secure to journey within the ’80s
Then Pablo died in 1993. It didn’t enhance the scenario in Colombia, however no less than the bombs stopped. However, the commerce of Cocaine and Diamonds was (and nonetheless is) too profitable. Drug Cartels, paramilitaries, and left wings weren’t prepared to cease.
But the scenario improved progressively for the reason that early 2000’s due to an vital army presence, many actions from the federal government, and the desire of the Colombian individuals. It’s now secure to journey to Colombia.
In 2022, it’s secure to journey to Colombia
The scenario in Colombia has modified lots within the final 20 years. Efforts are made to extend the dialogue with the final unlawful armed teams and enhance the nation’s stability.
Thanks to viral phrase of mouth from vacationers, Colombia turns into increasingly more stylish since 2007 (from 1 000 0000 to three 500 000). It brings new incomes for Colombian households in distant areas.
I do know it takes time for individuals to vary their opinion about any societal topic. But I’ve good hope they understand quickly that Colombia is altering.
Still, there are a lot of issues to enhance within the nation. And, like every nation in South America, you ought to be extra cautious.
In the tip, a lot of the issues occur to vacationers who search for medicine, hookers, or who’re too drunk to stroll straight.
Don’t give papaya and all the pieces shall be advantageous 😉
Is it secure to journey to Colombia in 2022? I say: YES. And you, what’s your feeling about it?
Find more Safe places to travel in colombia – Indochina Airlines