Safety is an enormous issue in relation to journey. After all, nobody desires to go to someplace the place they’ll be consistently on edge, wanting over their shoulder! Luckily for potential guests, Europe is mostly a really secure continent. But what are the most secure nations in Europe?
If you’re trying to plan your very personal Euro journey, you’ve come to the suitable place. To enable you select your subsequent vacation spot, we’ve dived into all of the details and figures to place collectively this checklist of the most secure European nations.
Related: (opens in new tab)
- Backpacking Routes Around Europe
- Common Travel Scams in Europe
- Europe Visa Guide
How Did We Decide the Safest European Countries?
To assemble this checklist of the most secure nations in Europe, we have now used our personal journey expertise, mixed with the outcomes of the Global Peace Index (2022 version). This annual report compiled by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), weighs up a variety of elements to find out the world’s most secure nations, together with perceived criminality inside society, crime charges and militarisation.
Each nation is given a rating after which put in a league desk. 163 nations are listed in the GPI and as of 2022, seven of the most secure nations in the world are positioned in Europe. That is sort of some achievement!
To make it simple so that you can cross-reference the nations listed, we have now clearly said their place throughout the Global Peace Index together with their GPI rating, primarily based on the various elements used to compile the report. To present some context, each nation listed under has a greater GPI ranking than the United States which sits at place 129 out of 163.
The Top 7 Safest Countries in Europe
Disclaimer: International journey security recommendation can change shortly and infrequently with out warning. Before you go to any vacation spot, you must all the time do your personal analysis to make sure that you perceive any potential dangers related to visiting a selected nation.
- Global Peace Index rating: 1/163
- Global Peace Index rating: 1.107
According to the GPI, Iceland is formally the most secure nation in Europe. In truth, it’s really the most secure nation in the world and has been for the reason that introduction of the GPI again in 2008! With a small inhabitants of round simply 350,000, guests to the nation report describing a heat welcome and group really feel.
Unlike in most nations, petty crime is rare right here with extra severe and violent incidents being outright uncommon. As such, it’s a nice vacation spot for solo travellers. Relatedly, Iceland was once more just lately ranked probably the most gender-equal nation in the world, making it an ideal vacation spot for ladies.
Arguably the largest concern for travellers to Iceland ought to be the affect of the almighty Mother Nature. Iceland is thought for its epic landscapes and rugged terrain however this will current further dangers. Flooding, avalanches and landslides can and do occur. These sorts of occasions may also have an effect on highway journey, inflicting primary routes to be closed, typically for months at a time.
Well identified for its difficult and rewarding treks, hikers visiting Iceland ought to make certain to maintain an in depth eye on climate situations as storms can pull in shortly and pose a hazard to these on the paths. Likewise, these trekking ought to all the time make it possible for they’re carrying a GPS, particularly in extra distant areas of the nation.
Traveller Highlights in Iceland:
- Take on one in all Europe’s greatest hikes! The Laugavegur Trail is a multi-day trek which weaves by the epic landscapes of southern Iceland.
- Drive the well-known Golden Circle. Arguably the nation’s most well-known highway journey, this route will showcase nationwide parks, geysers and even thermal baths!
- Marvel on the northern lights. Also referred to as the aurora borealis, Iceland is likely one of the greatest locations in the world to see this pure marvel.
- Laze in the Blue Lagoon spa. Thermal baths and unimaginable views? Sign us up!
- Go chasing waterfalls. For photographers and nature lovers alike, the unimaginable Dettifoss waterfall is not going to disappoint.
- Global Peace Index rating: 3/163
- Global Peace Index rating: 1.288
Famous for its fabulously pleasant welcome (prime o’ the morning to ya!), Ireland is the second-safest nation in Europe. Every 12 months, the nation attracts thousands and thousands of tourists, most of whom go to to take a look at the luxurious inexperienced landscapes, dramatic shoreline and wealthy cultural heritage. It has additionally grow to be more and more standard with family tree vacationers.
The transport infrastructure in Ireland is fairly good and the roads are typically effectively maintained – nevertheless, you must all the time concentrate on potholes, particularly in extra rural areas. If you might be planning to lease a automotive on your journey, hold in thoughts that in Ireland they drive on the left-hand aspect.
Crime ranges in Ireland are typically fairly low however you must nonetheless comply with primary private security protocols to guard your self and your belongings, particularly in bigger cities equivalent to Dublin. Most crime tends to happen when alcohol has been concerned so don’t linger on the streets after an evening out and get a taxi again to your lodging.
The Cliffs of Moher are one of many nation’s largest vacationer points of interest and understandably so. If you might be visiting this space, take heed of any warning indicators and don’t veer from the established strolling paths. There have sadly been incidents of some travellers falling to their deaths after straying from the official path.
Traveller Highlights in Ireland:
- Enjoy an evening out at Temple Bar in Dublin. Trust us once we say that the Irish know the right way to get together!
- Walk alongside the Cliffs of Moher. These vertigo-inducing cliffs supply jaw-dropping views out to the Aran Islands.
- Road journey the Ring of Kerry. This 11-mile loop is a good way to take in the sights and sounds of Ireland. While it may be pushed in round three and half hours should you don’t cease, we advocate turning this right into a day occasion!
- Take a visit to Skellig Michael. Used because the filming vacation spot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Skellig Micheal is dwelling to an island monastery and guarantees to be a magical cease on any Ireland itinerary.
- Kiss the Blarney Stone. Located at Blarney Castle, this custom has been round for hundreds of years. It is claimed that guests that kiss the Blarney Stone will probably be given the reward of persuasiveness and eloquence. Who doesn’t desire a little bit of that?!
- Global Peace Index rating: 4/163
- Global Peace Index rating: 1.296
With low ranges of organised battle and violent crime, Denmark is a really secure vacation spot. Much like different Scandinavian nations, Denmark is a frontrunner in relation to social points and the happiness ranges of its inhabitants.
Petty crime is low even in the massive cities, though we all the time advise conserving your valuables shut and never leaving your belongings unattended. In 2021, Copenhagen was christened the most secure metropolis in all the world by the Economist.
The danger from pure disasters is just about non-existent in Denmark and the highway guidelines are often obeyed. If you’re a pedestrian, additionally, you will be anticipated to obey the principles of the highway. There are heavy fines and potential jail time for these caught drunk driving or rushing.
Tourist infrastructure in the nation is mostly excellent and it’s simple to get round. Despite English not being the nationwide language, most locals could have a point of conversationality so should you get misplaced, simply ask somebody for assist and they’re prone to oblige.
Traveller Highlights in Denmark:
- See the Little Mermaid in Copenhagen. Inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s character, this statue was given as a present to the nation in 1913.
- Visit the Viking Ship Museum. Situated in Roskilde, this museum supplies a wonderful perception into the historical past of Denmark and the world’s most fearsome seafarers.
- Take in the sights by bike. As one of many flattest nations in the world, Denmark is a haven for cyclists.
- Explore Kronborg Castle. Believed to be in half the inspiration for Shakespeare’s play Hamlet (regardless of the Bard by no means having visited himself), this spectacular fortress is a must-visit.
- Be a child at Legoland. Who stated that grown-ups can’t nonetheless play with Lego?!
- Global Peace Index rating: 5/163
- Global Peace Index rating: 1.3
Let’s have a present of Hans for everyone who anticipated Austria to be on our checklist of most secure European nations… (See what I did there? 😉) Bad puns apart, Austria has lengthy been a preferred vacation spot with travellers trying to go to Europe.
It is general extremely secure, with all crime ranges fairly low. There is danger of being pickpocketed on public transport however that is removed from a typical incidence. As with any go to to a spot you’re not aware of, the most effective recommendation is to maintain your valuables hidden and be vigilant whenever you’re out and about.
Austria is a good vacation spot for first-time travellers as a result of it has a wealthy cultural historical past to discover. Many folks communicate English in the nation so should you get misplaced or need assistance, you’ll probably share a typical language, at the very least to some extent.
Best referred to as a winter vacation spot for its wonderful snowboarding, travellers ought to concentrate on the same old dangers related to alpine locations. Avalanches and mudslides occur and you must all the time make certain to verify the climate earlier than you head out for the day. As all the time with any type of journey exercise, inform any individual the place you’re going earlier than you allow.
Traveller Highlights in Austria:
- Go snowboarding. Austria is likely one of the greatest winter locations in all the world!
- See the place the Sound of Music was filmed. It may be an oldie but it surely certain is a goodie! This traditional film starring Julie Andrews was shot throughout Salzburg and is a must-do for any fan.
- Visit the Music Capital of the World. Vienna is the house of musical prodigies equivalent to Mozart and Beethoven!
- Explore the lovable Christmas markets. For round a month, tiny winter wonderlands pop up in completely different cities everywhere in the nation!
- Check out Treppe ins Nichts. Also identified in English as ‘The Stairway to Nothingness’, this glass shelf provides unimaginable 360 views (should you’re courageous sufficient! 😱).
- Global Peace Index rating: 6/163
- Global Peace Index rating: 1.301
Portugal is a vastly standard vacation spot for backpackers, expats and digital nomads travelling Europe. With astounding shoreline, slick cities, wealthy tradition and mouthwatering delicacies, Portugal is a good all-round vacation spot.
The nation is extraordinarily secure, rating at quantity six general on the Global Peace Index’s 2022 report. This makes it the fifth-safest nation in Europe. It has good relationships with its neighbours and the political system is mostly considered as secure.
The largest danger to travellers is pickpocketing which continuously occurs on public transport and in vacationer areas. I used to be really pickpocketed on the metro in Porto travelling to the airport. Never depart your belongings unattended and all the time hold an in depth eye in your environment. Travel insurance coverage is an effective suggestion too!
As Portugal is such a preferred vacationer vacation spot, scams which particularly goal guests can and do occur. You ought to all the time belief your intestine and by no means hand cash over earlier than you might have acquired the products or companies requested.
Traveller Highlights in Portugal:
- Enjoy a pastel de nata. Arguably one of many most interesting meals in Europe, the Portuguese custard tart is assured to make you drool.
- Ride the waves in Porto. Porto is the proper metropolis break and as if that wasn’t cause sufficient to go to, it’s proper on the seashore. Surfing is big right here and classes can be found to newbies.
- Nature spot at Ria Formosa National Park. Located in the Algarve, this numerous ecosystem is dwelling to a variety of uncommon and attention-grabbing species. Grab a pair of binoculars and look to the skies for inspiration.
- Take a ship journey. The Douro wine area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site which is simply itching to be explored. A ship journey is a good way to take in the cultural panorama of this lovely space.
- Journey onboard the Lisbon trams. Tourist entice or not? You resolve.
- Global Peace Index rating: 7/163
- Global Peace Index rating: 1.316
Slovenia is a vacation spot usually ignored by these heading to Europe. It actually shouldn’t be although! Mostly, the nation attracts guests in search of idyllic surroundings and wonderful pure wonders.
Arguably probably the most well-known vacationer hotspot there may be Lake Bled which guarantees postcard-perfect views at each flip. Slovenia can be identified to be immaculately clear, additional heightening the pure magnificence that sits throughout.
Levels of violent crime are low and political instability will not be a lot of a priority. With a low charge of militarisation, it’s a particularly secure vacation spot. As such, it attracts a lot of solo vacationers in addition to intrepid households!
Although in basic, the chance of scams is low, stories do come in about taxi drivers charging overinflated festivals, particularly from and to airports. If in doubt, refuse to experience and as a substitute anticipate a taxi with a meter.
Traveller Highlights in Slovenia:
- Visit Lake Bled. Fresh mountain air, epic castles and clear waters await those who journey to Slovenia’s largest attraction.
- Explore Slovenia’s capital metropolis. Ljubljana is stuffed with character. When you’re there, go to the fort atop the hill, wander across the vibrant streets and take your choose of the scrumptious native fare.
- See the Škocjan Caves. I do know what you’re pondering, caves can get a bit samey, proper? Not the Škocjan Caves! This UNESCO World Heritage Site must be seen to be believed!
- Hike! Home to a few of the most unimaginable surroundings in all the world, there isn’t a scarcity of unimaginable climbing trails throughout Slovenia. Triglav National Park is an absolute must-visit for walkers.
- Rent a automotive and hit the highway. Nothing beats the liberty of travelling by yourself schedule and feeling the wind in your hair.
7. Czech Republic
- Global Peace Index rating: 8/163
- Global Peace Index rating: 1.318
Did you realize that the Czech Republic is dwelling to probably the most castles in Europe? It can be the ultimate European nation to make it into the highest 10 most secure nations in the world. Most well-known for the gothic metropolis of Prague, there may be far more to this former Soviet state than its capital.
There is a really low terrorism danger in the Czech Republic and violent crime is uncommon. Despite this, travellers are all the time really useful to avoid abandoned areas of the cities, particularly across the outskirts.
Natural disasters will not be an enormous concern right here, nevertheless, flooding does occur in the course of the spring months. Always verify the forecast and be ready to be versatile along with your plans at any time when attainable.
The primary danger to travellers is scams. Although these will not be by any means an enormous menace, they do occur, particularly in Prague. One factor to concentrate on in eating places will not be handing over your financial institution playing cards to waiters. Always make funds your self to make sure that no person is noting down your account particulars.
Traveller Highlights in the Czech Republic:
- Bathe in beer! Calling all booze lovers, this one is for you! Why not deal with your self to one in all Prague’s beer spas? A soak in this amber nectar is certain to have you ever feeling revitalised!
- Visit Český Krumlov Castle. This dramatic fortress is a mix of a number of architectural kinds together with Baroque, Gothic and Renaissance.
- Go Goth at Sedlec Ossuary. Also referred to as the ‘Bone Church’, this Roman Catholic chapel incorporates the stays of between 40,000 and 70,000 folks!
- Explore Bohemian Paradise. This is a protected area near Prague. Looking like a scene straight out of Avatar, it’s most recognisable for its distinctive and imposing rock formations.
- Indulge your urge for food in Brno. This fashionable metropolis is dwelling to an enormous number of scrumptious eateries and eating places. And if drinks are extra your jam, take your choose from numerous wine bars and microbreweries.
What are your ideas on this checklist of the most secure nations in Europe? Is there anyplace else you’ve felt actually secure when travelling that we’ve missed?
Find more Safest places to travel in europe – Indochina Airlines