Cambodia was as soon as the dwelling of the highly effective Khmer kingdom, and to today, the nation dazzles with its timeless architectural treasures, wealthy cultural choices, and breathtaking pure panorama. Of course, the foremost cause for touring to Cambodia is Southeast Asia’s most luxurious archaeological treasure, Angkor Wat. But Cambodia is an undiscovered gem of a rustic, and there’s far more to it than simply the Angkor temples. A mix of rice paddies, distant jungles, and white sand seashores, in addition to an enchanting historical past mixed with pleasant tradition and welcoming folks make Cambodia a should-go to journey vacation spot. Here’s my checklist of the greatest issues to see & do in Cambodia.
Get the most out of your (luxurious) journey to Cambodia with my journey guide. Find out extra about:
- Best time to go to
- How to get there
- Travel necessities
- Getting round
- Inspiration, highlights, & journey ideas
- Suggested itineraries
- Recommended luxurious motels (+ evaluations)
CAMBODIA TRAVEL GUIDE: BEST TIME TO VISIT
Cambodia experiences 4 annual seasons:
- The cool and dry season – which lasts from November to February – is taken into account the greatest time to go to Cambodia, with loads of sunshine and day temperatures in the excessive 70s°F to low 80s°F (26°C-29°C). Sporadic showers might happen in the cool season however are rare occasions.
- The scorching and dry season lasts from March to May, with humidity reaching uncomfortable ranges and temperatures averaging in the higher 90s Fahrenheit (mid-30s Celsius). Although this era often stays dry, rains might collect pressure in the month of May, which is extra of a transition interval in the direction of the moist season.
- The scorching and moist season, which lasts from June to August, is marked by each day heavy downpours, which convey reduction for the sticky, humid climate. The days usually begin sunny, with showers principally occurring in the (late) afternoon or night, lasting for 3 to 4 hours.
- The cool and moist season happens in September and October and sees the return of extra comfy temperatures, though it’s in all probability the worst time to go to Cambodia as a result of the torrential rains are coming to a peak, usually bringing floods and making roads impassable. Most days are cloudy and seaside situations are poor. It’s not all dangerous information since low customer numbers means nice resort offers.
The greatest time to go to the Kingdom coincides with the northern hemisphere’s winter interval, November by way of February. However, it has the be famous that the climate in Thailand has turn into much less predictable over the previous few years because of international warming, with the wet season usually beginning in April and lasting by way of all of November. For a month to month climate report in Cambodia, verify this wonderful web site.
CAMBODIA TRAVEL GUIDE: HOW TO GET THERE
Most vacationers will arrive in Cambodia by way of considered one of the following three worldwide airports:
- Phnom Penh International Airport (PNH) is Cambodia’s foremost worldwide airport and is situated close to the capital. Click right here for a listing of airways that supply direct flights to Phnom Penh.
- Siem Reap International Airport (REP) serves the metropolis of Siem Reap, a well-liked vacationer vacation spot due to close by Angkor Wat. Click right here for a listing of airways that supply direct flights to Siem Reap
- Sihanoukville International Airport (KOS) is Cambodia’s third largest worldwide airport, and serves the space round Sihanoukville, alos referred to as the Cambodian Riviera. Click right here for a listing of airways that supply direct flights to Sihanoukville.
When touring to Cambodia, contemplate flying out and in from totally different airports (for instance flying in by way of Siem Reap and flying out by way of Sihanoukville) to keep away from lengthy transfers and backtracks throughout your vacation. Also, defore you purchase a aircraft ticket, make certain to learn my ideas & methods for getting the most cost-effective aircraft ticket.
CAMBODIA TRAVEL GUIDE: TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
Requirements for entry into Cambodia differ from nation to nation, and are topic to change. Prior to departure, at all times verify along with your authorities and your nearest Cambodian embassy or consulate what paperwork you want for journey to Cambodia.
- Your passport ought to be legitimate for a minimal interval of 6 months from the date of entry into Cambodia. Entry is generally refused if in case you have a broken passport or pages lacking.
- Currently you want to get a visa earlier than arrival. You can get a vacationer visa on-line, or you should buy one at a Royal Cambodian Embassy overseas.
Before you journey, ensure you learn my 10 ideas to plan a fear-free journey.
CAMBODIA TRAVEL GUIDE: GETTING AROUND
Read more: 10 Best Places to Visit in Cambodia
Getting round Cambodia is comfy however time-consuming (roads are slender and there’s plenty of visitors). Significant enhancements to the nationwide freeway community in the previous few years have made touring round the nation a lot simpler than it as soon as was, with many previously grime roads now surfaced and new highways constructed.
- Travel by bus is the most cost-effective and most handy means of getting round Cambodia, particularly to the farthest and most distant locations in the nation. Longer bus journeys often depart in the evenings to arrive at their vacation spot early in the morning. All buses are privately run, operated by a rising variety of corporations. Phnom Penh Sorya is the largest; others embrace Rith Mony, GST, Paramount Angkor and Capitol Tours.
- There are additionally a number of deluxe minibus providers on the foremost intercity and worldwide routes. Mekong Express is the foremost operator and tickets will be booked on-line. Fares are comparatively excessive in contrast to common bus service, though they have an inclination to be barely quicker and passengers are assured a fairly comfy seat and onboard service (reminiscent of WiFi and A/C).
- A home flight inside Cambodia can prevent a full day of touring: a flight from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville takes solely 45 minutes in contrast to 12 hours over land by automobile. There are a number of home airways that supply flights inside Cambodia and fares are low cost, particularly for those who guide upfront. Tickets will be booked on-line by way of the airways’ web sites:
- Cambodia Angkor Air (thought of the nation’s flagship service)
- Lanmei Airlines
- Sky Angkor Airlines
- Bassake Air
- Trishaws (tuktuks) are perfect for quick journeys inside cities and cities, and for brief excursions, the nation’s many trishaws can be glad to give you a experience. Most tuktuks usually are not metered. Always agree on a fare beforehand.
CAMBODIA TRAVEL GUIDE: INSPIRATION, HIGHLIGHTS, & TRAVEL TIPS
There are a number of good explanation why it is best to put Cambodia in your bucket checklist:
- Explore Angkor Wat, considered one of the world’s most fascinating ruins
- Visit the killing fields, a reminder of Cambodia’s atrocious current previous
- Relax on world-class seashores in the Koh Rong Archipelago
- Sail alongside the mighty Mekong River
- Enjoy world-class hospitality at Cambodia’s fabulous resorts
- Explore the capital Phnom Penh
The following, in-depth articles might also encourage you and assist you plan your vacation to Cambodia:
- Top 10 greatest issues to see & do in Cambodia
- Top 10 most fantastic luxurious resorts in Cambodia
- Tips & methods for getting the greatest deal at a luxurious resort
- Tips & methods for getting the most cost-effective aircraft ticket
CAMBODIA TRAVEL GUIDE: SUGGESTED ITINERARIES
Cambodia is a small nation and it’s simple to discover all of its spotlight inside a short while body. I counsel the following 10-day itinerary in Cambodia:
- Day 1, 2 & 3: arrival & exploration of the Sieam Reap (together with a tour of Angkor Wat).
- Recommended resort: Zannier Hotels Phum Baitang
- Day 4, 5 & 6: take a direct flight to Sihanoukville (45 min) and luxuriate in a number of days on the seaside
- Recommended motels: Song Saa Private Island, Koh Russey, or Senses Krabey Island
- Day 7, 8 & 9: switch to Shinta Mani Wild (2,5 hours) and spend a number of days in the jungle
- Recommended motels: Bensley assortment – Shinta Mani Wild
- Day 10: switch to Phnom Penh and fly out
- Recommended resort (if staying in a single day): Rosewood Phnom Penh
Read more: 12 Of The Best Places To Visit In Cambodia
If you could have extra time, I extremely suggest to finish your vacation in Cambodia with some extra nights at Soneva Kiri in Thailand, my favourite resort in the world.
CAMBODIA TRAVEL GUIDE: RECOMMENDED LUXURY HOTELS (+ REVIEWS)
Visit my prime 10 checklist of the most fantastic motels in Cambodia if you’re keen to know the way I rank the Kingdom’s prime motels, primarily based my very own expertise.
Below, you discover my evaluations of motels in Cambodia (with execs, cons, & ideas to get monetary savings per resort).
- Review: Shinta Mani Wild – Bensley Collection (Cambodia)
- Review of Alila Villas Koh Russey (Cambodia)
- Review: Zannier Hotels Phum Baitang (Cambodia) – AMAZING resort
- Hotel assessment: Raffles Le Royal (Phnom Penh, Cambodia)
- Hotel assessment: Park Hyatt Siem Reap (Cambodia)
*** Follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Twitter or Facebook for a each day second of journey inspiration ***
Read more Where to go in cambodia travel – Indochina Airlines